It’s Official, Happy Summer!
Happy first day of summer! This has been a crazy spring with the record breaking rains then hot, hot days — fingers crossed that this summer is beautiful and mild! Your trees, especially those planted within the last three years, will need to your help to survive a D.C. summer.
A few simple tips to give your trees a fighting chance:
- Take our 25 To Stay Alive Pledge to water trees on and surrounding your property and we’ll send you a complimentary rain gauge to help you determine when to water and how much.
- Make watering easy by utilizing slow-release watering bags. They’re available for purchase in our online shop for $15 each.
- Follow our weekly watering alerts, published every Monday in the Leaflet and on our homepage, Facebook and Twitter pages through September. Tweet @CaseyTrees using the #25tostayalive hashtag to let us know how your summer watering efforts are going.
- Mulch in a doughnut shape around the tree trunk – stacking the mulch around the trunk can deprive a tree of air, water and nutrients it needs to develop and grow.
- Check trunk guards to ensure that they’re installed properly. Weed whackers and lawn mowers can cause severe damage to a tree’s circulation system if the trunk if left unguarded. Trunk guards are available for purchase on our online shop for $3 each.
If you’re considering planting trees in the fall, read up on our homeowner planting programs to see how we can help you save money and choose the perfect tree for your space.
Want to know more? We offer further resources in the Trees How-To section of our website, which include additional tree care tips and video tutorials.