Certified arborists are experienced professionals who have passed an extensive examination covering all aspects of tree care. These individuals are tested and certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA Certified).
They can assess the health and condition of your trees; determine the type of pruning necessary to improve the health, appearance and safety of trees. They may also diagnose disease and infestation problems while providing solutions and treatments. If necessary, arborists may remove trees safely and replace them with trees that are appropriate for specific locations. Arborists are also called upon for emergency tree care such as after a storm.
While our certified arborists do not remove or prune mature trees for equipment and safety reasons, they can assist clients interested in custom tree planting projects, tree canopy mappings and tree-focused landscape designs.
Please use the following resources to select the right arborist for your project:
Please note that not all certified arborists are experienced in all areas of practice and may require additional credentials like state-issued licenses.
- Ask for proof of insurance. A reputable arborist carries personal and property damage insurance as well as workers compensation insurance.
- Check for necessary permits and licenses.
- Ask for references.
- Get more than one estimate and do not always accept the low bid.
- Be wary of individuals who go door to door and offer bargains for performing tree work, as well as those offering business cards with only a cell phone and no physical address for the business. Legitimate businesses want to be found and should provide you with their office location.
- Keep in mind good arborists will perform only accepted practices. For example, topping a tree or using climbing spikes on trees that are not to be removed, without just cause are unnecessary and unacceptable.
- Get the agreement for work to be performed up front and do not hesitate to place all items discussed in the contract including clean up and any accidental damage to additional trees, landscape, driveways and sidewalks.
- Make no payments until the entire job is satisfactorily completed.