Casey Tree Farm is a 730-acre tract located in Clarke County, Virginia. Locally known as Springsbury Farm, our organization was gifted the land and its structures in 2008 to enhance our mission through research, collaboration and environmental stewardship. In March 2011, we started our own nursery, allowing us to grow tree species that are not readily available commercially while applying innovative growing and irrigating techniques.
Interested in planning your next meeting, event, or weekend getaway at our farm? Email Italia Peretti for more information – email@example.com.
A View of the Casey Tree Farm
Casey Tree Farm Map
2498 Briggs Rd
Berryville, VA 22611
History of the Property
Casey Tree Farm was originally part of a 5-million-acre tract of land owned by Lord Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord of Fairfax of Cameron. Over time, the estate was subdivided and sold. Following the death of Lord Fairfax, the remaining land was confiscated by the Commonwealth of Virginia and put up for sale to the public.
Historical records indicate several prominent individuals owned and resided at the farm including John Holker, French consul general to the U.S., from 1781 until Charles McCormick’s family bequeathed the property in 1933 to local charities including All Saints Episcopal Church. The church sold its portion to Marie and George Greenhalgh who then assembled the remaining portions of the estate between 1935 and 1937.
In 1958, Eugene Casey purchased the farm from the Greenhalghs to serve as a summer home for him and his wife, Betty Brown Casey. Mrs. Casey donated the farm to Casey Trees in 2008. Today, the rich agricultural and cultural legacy of the farm lives on through Casey Tree Farm’s tree nursery, hay fields and our preservation and adaptive reuse of the historic structures located on site.
Buildings & Gardens
Two of the Farm’s many structures merit special mention.
The Main House, the core of which was built in the mid-1790s, was expanded by Marie and George Greenhalgh in the 1930s to a spacious residence with designs from the Boston-based firm of Perry, Shaw & Hepburn, best known for their work in Colonial Williamsburg.
The home’s expansive gardens, as well as the road layout and the many stone-wall features on the farm, were designed by one of America’s most prominent women landscape architects, Ellen Biddle Shipman. We have stabilized the home to ensure it will continue standing for decades to come.
The Main Stable, with more than 25 stalls, was used by the Greenhalghs to board their show horses. The original barn, also built in the late 1700’s, was expanded with designs by Alfred Hopkins and Associates, a well-known architecture firm specializing in stables and farm outbuildings on large estates, particularly on Long Island, New York.
The Main House:
The Main Stable: