As the old saying goes, “March comes in like a Lion, out like a Lamb”. D.C. has seen the full swing of that expression all in one weekend. Due to this wacky weather your trees could be in need of some TLC.
Here are a few helpful tips to keep your trees happy:
- Inspect your trees. Trees may need structural pruning if they have damaged branches. Find pruning how-to videos on our website. Hire a certified arborist as needed.
- *If* it were to snow—you never know. Remove snow and ice. Removing snow and ice from the tree’s branches will protect tree branches from bending and breaking.
- Be a weed warrior: Spring is also prime time for weeds. Be sure to keep the area around your tree’s trunk free of weeds and grasses so that it can drink up all of the nutrients it needs.
- Mulch using the 3-3-3 Rule: Avoid volcano mulching by maintaining a three-foot ring around the tree, three-inches high, with a three-inch space around the trunk.
- Add trunk guards: Trees need protection from overzealous lawn equipment. Installing trunk guards can protect the tree’s main nutrient systems from being severed or damaged.
- Need a tree trunk guard? Get yours here. Delivery available.
Check out more tips for year round tree care here, as well as videos tutorials and more!