Memorial Day Weekend had us dreaming of summer. As the days get longer and hotter it’s important to prepare your trees — especially with this year’s expected higher temperatures.
Here are a few simple tips to get your trees ready for the hot summer months:
- Check trunk guards to ensure that they’re installed properly. Weed whackers and lawn mowers can cause severe damage to a tree’s circulation system if the trunk is left unguarded. Trunk guards are available for purchase on our online shop for $3 each.
- Take our 25 To Stay Alive Pledge to water trees on and surrounding your property and we’ll send you a complimentary rain gauge to help you determine when to water and how much.
- Follow our weekly watering alerts, published every Monday in the Leaflet and on our homepage, Facebook and Twitter through September. Tweet @CaseyTrees using the #25tostayalive hashtag to let us know how your summer watering efforts are going.
- Make watering easy by utilizing slow-release watering bags. They’re available for purchase in our online shop for $15 each. Check out our video on how-to water your trees.
- Follow the 3-3-3 rule for mulching around your tree – stacking the mulch higher around the trunk can deprive a tree of air, water and nutrients it needs to develop and grow and increases its vulnerability to pests and diseases.
- If you’re considering planting trees in the fall, read up on our homeowner planting programs to see how we can help you save money and choose the perfect tree for your space.
Want to know more? We offer further resources in the Trees How-To section of our website, which includes additional tree care tips and video tutorials.