The RiverSmart Homes Shade Tree Program is designed to reduce stormwater runoff and erosion on residential property in D.C. Through this program, homeowners can have shade trees planted on their property by Casey Trees for $50 per tree.
There is no limit to the number of trees that can be planted on each property, provided space allows.
The RiverSmart Homes Shade Tree program is funded by the District Department of the Environment (DDOE).
- Submit a request online. Requests are coordinated by DDOE. Submit a request online.
- Have a home consultation with the DDOE. A District Department of the Environment auditor will contact you to set up a home consultation. The auditor will discuss the RiverSmart Homes program overall and determine which improvements your property is eligible for, including shade trees, rain gardens, permeable pavers, and bayscaping.
- Have a home consultation with Casey Trees. Homeowners who are eligible for and interested in shade trees will then be contacted by the Casey Trees auditor, who will arrange a time to meet at your home to assist in the selection of species and placement. See the list of available shade tree species below.
- Pay your co-pay. The $50 per tree co-pay covers the home consultation, tree and planting. Payment for each tree must be received prior to scheduling the tree planting date. You may pay by check during your home consult or make a secure online payment.
- Await your planting date. Once tree species and locations are selected, a planting date will be schedule for the spring or fall. You do not need to be present for the planting.
Available Shade Trees
Homeowners can choose from 14 shade trees specifically chosen for their environmental benefits. For help in selecting the tree(s) most suited for your yard, consult the RiverSmart Homes Tree Selection Guide.
- American linden/basswood
- Oak – overcup, pin, red, swamp white, white and willow (spring only)
- Shagbark hickory