Everyone benefits from a healthy tree canopy. Find people in your community and start a conversation about the value of D.C’s tree canopy and the need to protect it. Take one of our Action Alerts or attend an event and make your voice heard.
Our new advocacy program, launched this April, has been a success because of the efforts of volunteers like you.
Our Tree Advocates program empowers volunteers to “stand up for trees” – to help restore, enhance, and protect the tree canopy of our District. We are making great progress by connecting volunteers with our city’s key decision-makers and helping to make tree canopy a more prominent issue city-wide.
- Developed this online advocacy platform
- Sent 217 letters to the District Council and agency directors urging DC to invest in trees
- Engaged and advocated with 48 volunteer advocates
- Participated in 18 tree-related public meetings
- Lobbied the DC Council twice
- Submitted 10 public comments (7 of which were written by tree advocates)
- Created a unique Citizen Advocate Handbook
We look forward to an even more productive program in 2014!
Here are some tools and resources that will help you stand up for trees in your neighborhood and throughout the District.
Make a Public Comment
Written comments by private citizens are effective for bringing an issue directly to a mayor, councilmember, director, or committee head’s desk. View a sample letterand then start your own!