Our annual Casey Trees calendar, offered exclusively to Members at the Steward level and above features the growing movement—urban foraging. Detailing a new tree every month that is a ready source of edibles and flourishes in D.C…. and every tree in the calendar is also available for rebate through our Tree Rebate program!
This month features a District favorite — the red mulberry (moris rubra). The red mulberry is similar to a blueberry in taste. It makes for a perfect summer treat on its own or can be made into fabulous jams, baked goods or one of our summer favorites — margaritas!
Red Mulberry Margarita
Serve this at your next dinner party or enjoy relaxing outside with some chips and guac! Serves two.
- 12 (about 1/3 cup) fresh or frozen red mulberries
- 1/3 cup Cointreau or favorite orange liquor
- 1/4 cup tequila 100% agave
- 4 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- a lime wedge
- A mix of 1 tablespoon sea-salt and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for the rim
- Rub the rim of glasses with the lime wedge. Dip them in the sea-salt-sugar mix. (You can skip this step if you don’t like sweet-salty combinations)
- Blend red mulberries, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and powdered sugar in a blender. Transfer to glasses. Serve on ice.
Be sure to look out for more recipes and tips on local foraging efforts! If you would like to plant a red mulberry in your yard fill out our tree rebate form! And if you have any questions about how you can get our Foraging From Bark To Blossom calendar contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recipe and photos courtesy of gourmetkitchens.com.