- This event has passed.
Volunteer: Community Tree Planting – Turkey Thicket
March 23, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm EDTFree
Help us to retree Turkey Thicket Recreation Center. This recreation center is in need of some shade around its fields and trees to help reduce stormwater run off from the courts and parking lot.
Register now! The Tuesday before this planting, we will send a logistics and directions email with detailed information about how to get to the site. You will receive this email ONLY if you are signed-up for this planting.
- Waiver: We require that you pre-register for our events so that you can fill out our waiver before arriving at the event.
- Youth Volunteers: Volunteers under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign their consent form and be supervised by an adult at all times. Please note you must be over 18 years of age to become a team leader.
- Closed-toe shoes: Boots are preferred over sneakers.
- No specific skills or tools required. Each event starts with a tool safety and planting demonstration. Volunteers plant alongside experienced Citizen Foresters and staff.
- Arrive on time and stay for the duration of the event. Check-in opens a half hour prior to the indicated start time.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather. We recommend long pants and other protections for sun, bugs and poison ivy.
- No animals are allowed into the event, except for service animals.
- Water: Bring a water bottle or reusable cup to refill. Water will be available on site.
If you represent a group (5+ people), complete the and we will contact you to discuss potential volunteer opportunities.
Public Transportation: Brookland is the closest metro station. It is a .4 of a mile walk from the planting site. The H4, and H8 buses stop on 10th street and the R4 bus stops on Michigan Ave directly beside the planting site.
Parking: A small parking lot is available on site. Street parking is also available on 10th St.
Bike Parking: Bikes can be locked to a bike rack next to the Rec center or next to Brookland Middle School.
Support Casey Trees
to Casey Trees to Restore, Enhance and Protect D.C.’s Tree Canopy. Casey Trees relies on the support of friends, neighbors and volunteers like you to make our work possible. Thank you for your help!