- This event has passed.
Volunteer: Community Tree Planting – The Franciscan Monastery
September 21, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm EDTFree
Join us in planting trees at the Fransican Monastary of the Holy Land in America.
We will be restoring a grove of trees along the route of an underground stream to help save the soils of one of the most beautiful places in DC.
Register now! The Tuesday before this planting, we will send a logistics and directions email with detailed information about how to get to the site. You will receive this email ONLY if you are signed-up for this planting.
- Waiver: We require that you pre-register for our events, so that you can fill out our waiver before arriving at the event.
- Youth Volunteers: Volunteers under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign their consent form and be supervised by an adult at all times. Please note you must be over 18 years of age to become a team leader.
- Closed-toe shoes: Boots are preferred over sneakers.
- No specific skills or tools required. Each event starts with a tool safety and planting demonstration. Volunteers plant alongside experienced Citizen Foresters and staff.
- Arrive on time and stay for the duration of the event.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather. We recommend long pants and other protections for sun, bugs and poison ivy.
- No animals are allowed into the event, except for service animals.
- Water: Bring a water bottle or reusable cup to refill. Water will be available on site.
What to expect on site:
- Sign-In opens at 8:30am
- Tool safety demo is at 8:45am – If you miss the demo you cannot participate in the tree planting
- Team leaders are announced and you begin working with your team
- Plant 2-6 trees with your team
- End with a celebratory lunch with your team and all that planted that day!
If you represent a group (5+ people), complete the and we will contact you to discuss potential volunteer opportunities.
Public Transportation: The closest metro station is the Brookland-CUA station, a 0.6 mile walk. The H6 bus has stops on Quincy street near the entrance to the Fransican Monastary.
Parking: Limited on-street parking nearby.
Bike Parking: Bikes can be locked to nearby signs.
Support Casey Trees
to Casey Trees to Restore, Enhance and Protect DC’s Tree Canopy. Casey Trees relies on the support of friends, neighbors and volunteers like you to make our work possible. Thank you for your help!