- This event has passed.
Volunteer: Community Tree Planting – Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
October 11, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pm EDTFree
Join us in planting trees at Our Lady of Perpertual Help Church!
Add canopy to the beautiful campus of this historic church in Anacostia, and enjoy the panoramic view of D.C. basking in the shade of the trees you plant.
Register now! The Tuesday before this planting, we will send a logistics and directions email with detailed information about how to get to the site. You will receive this email ONLY if you are signed up for this planting.
- Waiver: We require that you pre-register for our events, so that you can fill out our waiver before arriving at the event.
- Youth Volunteers: Volunteers under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign their consent form and be supervised by an adult at all times. Please note you must be over 18 years of age to become a team leader.
- Closed-toe shoes: Boots are preferred over sneakers.
- No specific skills or tools required. Each event starts with a tool safety and planting demonstration. Volunteers plant alongside experienced Citizen Foresters and staff.
- Arrive on time and stay for the duration of the event.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather. We recommend long pants and other protections for sun, bugs and poison ivy.
- No animals are allowed into the event, except for service animals.
- Water: Bring a water bottle or reusable cup to refill. Water will be available on site.
What to expect on site:
- Sign-In opens at 9:30am
- Tool safety demo is at 9:45am – If you miss the demo you cannot participate in the tree planting
- Team leaders are announced and you begin working with your team
- Plant 2-6 trees with your team
- End with a celebratory lunch with your team and all that planted that day!
If you represent a group (5+ people), complete the and we will contact you to discuss potential volunteer opportunities.
Public Transportation: The closest metro station is the Anacostia station, a 1 mile walk. The W2, W3, and W8 buses have stops on Morris street and Hunter Place near the entrance to the Fransican Monastary.
Parking: A parking lot is located on-site.
Bike Parking: Bikes can be locked to nearby signs or at the bike racks in front of the Fort Stanton Rec Center next door.
Support Casey Trees
to Casey Trees to Restore, Enhance and Protect DC’s Tree Canopy. Casey Trees relies on the support of friends, neighbors and volunteers like you to make our work possible. Thank you for your help!