- This event has passed.
Volunteer: Community Tree Planting – Montrose Park
November 15, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm ESTFree
Welcome to the tree planting with the European Diplomatic Community!
Climate action is Finland’s number one priority during the rotating Presidency of the Council of the European Union. On Friday, November 15th, 2019 let’s pick up our shovels and plant trees at Montrose Park!
Ambassador of the Republic of Finland to the United States, H.E. Kirsti Kauppi is inviting all the European Union member states’ Embassies and the EU delegation to volunteer together with American friends from the National Park Service, Casey Trees, and Friends of Montrose Park.
This joint tree planting is part of an important Montrose Park cultural landscape restoration project, made possible by the hard work of committed volunteers and professionals. For Finland, it is also a way to highlight the importance of taking concrete action in combating climate change. Each member state gets to plant their own tree.
You can read more on Finland’s EU Presidency priorities via this link: https://eu2019.fi/en/priorities/climate-leadership.
Register now! The Tuesday before this planting, we will send a logistics and directions email with detailed information about how to get to the site. You will receive this email ONLY if you are signed-up for this planting.
- Waiver: We require that you pre-register for our events, so that you can fill out our waiver before arriving at the event.
- Youth Volunteers: Volunteers under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign their consent form and be supervised by an adult at all times. Please note you must be over 18 years of age to become a team leader.
- Closed-toe shoes: Boots are preferred over sneakers.
- No specific skills or tools required. Each event starts with a tool safety and planting demonstration. Volunteers plant alongside experienced Citizen Foresters and staff.
- Arrive on time and stay for the duration of the event.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather. We recommend long pants and other protections for sun, bugs and poison ivy.
- No animals are allowed into the event, except for service animals.
- Water: Bring a water bottle or reusable cup to refill. Water will be available on site.
What to expect on site:
- Sign-In opens at 8:30am
- Tool safety demo is at 8:45am – If you miss the demo you cannot participate in the tree planting
- Team leaders are announced and you begin working with your team
- Plant 2-6 trees with your team
- End with a celebratory lunch with your team and all that planted that day!
Public Transportation: The closest metro station is the Dupont Circle station, an .8 of a mile walk. The D1, D2, and D6 bus makes stops on Q St. nearby to our location.
Parking: Street parking is limited and usually 2-hour restricted.
Bike Parking: Bikes can be locked to nearby signs.
Support Casey Trees
to Casey Trees to Restore, Enhance and Protect DC’s Tree Canopy. Casey Trees relies on the support of friends, neighbors and volunteers like you to make our work possible. Thank you for your help!
EU2019.fi – Sustainable Europe – Sustainable Future