- This event has passed.
Volunteer: Community Tree Planting – Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial
December 18, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pm ESTFree
Join us in planting trees at the National Mall at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial!
Plant heritage varieties of the beloved Cherry Tree at the National Mall.
Register now! The Tuesday before this planting, we will send a logistics and directions email with detailed information about how to get to the site. You will receive this email ONLY if you are signed-up for this planting.
- Waiver: We require that you pre-register for our events, so that you can fill out our waiver before arriving at the event.
- Youth Volunteers: Volunteers under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign their consent form and be supervised by an adult at all times. Please note you must be over 18 years of age to become a team leader.
- Closed-toe shoes: Boots are preferred over sneakers.
- No specific skills or tools required. Each event starts with a tool safety and planting demonstration. Volunteers plant alongside experienced Citizen Foresters and staff.
- Arrive on time and stay for the duration of the event.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather. We recommend long pants and other protections for sun, bugs and poison ivy.
- No animals are allowed into the event, except for service animals.
- Water: Bring a water bottle or reusable cup to refill. Water will be available on site.
What to expect on site:
- Sign-In opens at 9:30am
- Tool safety demo is at 9:45am – If you miss the demo you cannot participate in the tree planting
- Team leaders are announced and you begin working with your team
- Plant 2-6 trees with your team
- End with a celebratory lunch with your team and all that planted that day!
If you represent a group (5+ people), complete the and we will contact you to discuss potential volunteer opportunities.
Public Transportation: The closest metro station is the Smithsonian Station, which is about .9 miles away from the planting site. The nearest bus is the Circulator Red Line, which has a stop less than .1 miles away from the planting site.
Parking: We highly encourage public transportation to this site, as there is limited parking on the National Mall.
Bike Parking: Bikes can be locked to nearby signs and bike racks.
Support Casey Trees
to Casey Trees to Restore, Enhance and Protect DC’s Tree Canopy. Casey Trees relies on the support of friends, neighbors and volunteers like you to make our work possible. Thank you for your help!