- This event has passed.
Volunteer: Community Tree Planting – Columbia Island
October 19, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm EDTFree
Join us in planting trees at Columbia Island!
We are back at Columbia Island for our 4th community tree planting event! This island is the site of the Lady Bird Johnson Memorial and many beautiful walking trails. Join us in planting trees along the walk ways and waterways. Then enjoy a stroll through the park.
Register now! The Tuesday before this planting, we will send a logistics and directions email with detailed information about how to get to the site. You will receive this email ONLY if you are signed-up for this planting.
- Waiver: We require that you pre-register for our events, so that you can fill out our waiver before arriving at the event.
- Youth Volunteers: Volunteers under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign their consent form and be supervised by an adult at all times. Please note you must be over 18 years of age to become a team leader.
- Closed-toe shoes: Boots are preferred over sneakers.
- No specific skills or tools required. Each event starts with a tool safety and planting demonstration. Volunteers plant alongside experienced Citizen Foresters and staff.
- Arrive on time and stay for the duration of the event.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather. We recommend long pants and other protections for sun, bugs and poison ivy.
- No animals are allowed into the event, except for service animals.
- Water: Bring a water bottle or reusable cup to refill. Water will be available on site.
What to expect on site:
- Sign-In opens at 8:30am
- Tool safety demo is at 8:45am – If you miss the demo you cannot participate in the tree planting
- Team leaders are announced and you begin working with your team
- Plant 2-6 trees with your team
- End with a celebratory lunch with your team and all that planted that day!
If you represent a group (5+ people), complete the and we will contact you to discuss potential volunteer opportunities.
Public Transportation: The closest metro station is the Arlington Cemetery station, a .8 of a mile walk. The Pentagon station is nearby as well and a mile walk from the planting site.
Parking: A parking lot is available on site.
Bike Parking: Bikes can be locked to nearby signs.
Support Casey Trees
to Casey Trees to Restore, Enhance and Protect DC’s Tree Canopy. Casey Trees relies on the support of friends, neighbors and volunteers like you to make our work possible. Thank you for your help!