- This event has passed.
Class: Tree Planting Workshop
February 28 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm ESTFree
Do you want to play a greater role in re-treeing D.C.? If so, consider becoming a Team Leader!
The foundation for a tree’s health and longevity is established the day it is planted. You will learn how to prepare a tree planting site and properly plant the tree to ensure its survival as well as the techniques critical to maintaining tree health including mulching and watering.
What is a Team Leader?
Our Team Leaders play a vital role in our community tree planting program. Team Leaders lead teams of 3-5 volunteers at our plantings that occur every Saturday in the fall and spring seasons. You will be responsible for: (1) Safety of the team, (2) Using effective tree planting strategies, of course, (3) Ensuring that your team is having a great time!
Process for Becoming a Team Leader:
1. Attend the Two Required Trainings on February 28 and March 3
2. Attend Three Plantings as a Team Leader Candidate. After you take the class, volunteer to plant at a minimum of three Community Tree Plantings in the same season as the workshop under the guidance of a mentor. Pass with flying colors from your mentor and we will graduate you to a full-fledged Team Leader!
Who Should Attend?
Open to the general public for anyone interested in supporting our nation’s capital by leading volunteers to successfully plant trees! After you are a certified Team Leader, we ask that you attend at least 1 planting per season.
- Registration. We require that you pre-register for our events, so that you can fill out our waiver before arriving at the event. Please take a moment to register for this event.
- Please note you must be over 18 years of age to become a team leader.
- No specific skills required. We will teach you the skills necessary to planting a successful tree.
- Arrive on time. Check-in opens a half hour prior to the indicated start time.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather.
- No animals are allowed into the event, except for service animals.
All attendees will be provided with a light dinner. Please note your dietary preferences and/or allergies when registering so we can attempt to accommodate your needs.
Public Transportation. Brookland-CUA (Red Line) metro rail station is about .5 miles from our office. The Metrobus stop is near the intersection of 12th and Irving Street NE (served by the H8) or the Brookland-CUA Metro station (served by the H2, H4, H6, G8, R4 and 80).
Parking. We have a small parking lot and there is unrestricted street parking on Irving Street NE.
Bike Parking. We have a bike rack available in our parking lot.
Support Casey Trees
Become a Casey Trees Member today and receive some incredible perks – all while doing your part to help build a greener place to live for us all. Casey Trees relies on the support of friends, neighbors and volunteers like you to make our work possible. Thank you for your help!