Summer Tree Care
Here are a few simple tips to get your trees ready for the hot summer months (that have seemingly already arrived!):
- Take our 25 To Stay Alive Pledge to water trees on and surrounding your property and we’ll send you a complimentary rain gauge to help you determine when to water and how much.
- Follow our weekly watering alerts, published every Monday in the Leaflet and on our homepage, Facebook and Twitter so you know whether or not you should water your young trees.
- Make watering easy by utilizing slow-release watering bags. They’re available for purchase in our online shop for $15 each and take all the stress out of watering your young trees.
- Inspect your trees for any damage or concerning areas. Especially young trees! The cicadas are mostly harmless, but you never know. Contact a Certified Arborist to prune if anything looks off. We offer pruning services as part of our Consultation offerings. Don’t forget to check for cicada damage this year!
- Follow the 3-3-3 rule for mulching around your tree – stacking the mulch higher around the trunk can deprive a tree of air, water and nutrients it needs to develop and grow and increases its vulnerability to pests and diseases.
- Check trunk guards to ensure that they’re installed properly. Weed whackers and lawnmowers can cause severe damage to a tree’s circulation system if the trunk is left unguarded. Trunk guards are available for purchase on our online shop for $3 each.
- If you’re considering planting trees in the fall, read up on our homeowner planting programs to see how we can help you save money and choose the perfect tree for your space.
Want to know more? We offer further resources in the How-To section of our website, which includes additional tree care tips and video tutorials.