Locally known as Springsbury Farm, Casey Trees was gifted the land and its structures to enhance our mission through research, collaboration and environmental stewardship.
Historical records indicate several prominent individuals owned and resided at the farm including John Holker, French consul general to the U.S., from 1781 until Charles McCormick’s family bequeathed the property in 1933 to local charities, including All Saints Episcopal Church. The church sold its portion to Marie and George Greenhalgh, who then assembled the remaining portions of the estate between 1935 and 1937.
In 1958, Eugene Casey purchased the farm from the Greenhalghs to serve as a family summer home. Mrs. Betty Brown Casey donated the farm to Casey Trees in 2008.
Today, the rich agricultural and cultural legacy of the farm lives on through Casey Tree Farm’s tree nursery, hay fields and our preservation and adaptive reuse of the historic structures located on site.
Last Week, the C&D crew hit the road again, capturing the beautiful fall foliage. Here is just a small sampling of the many photos taken plus a few before/after, summer vs. fall shots just to show you what a difference a few months can make!
The country road to the Farm (fall)
The country road to the Farm (summer)
Arrival at 2498 Briggs Rd.
Brian Mayell, General Manager explaining some farm history.
We stopped by the Trooper House to get our “sophomore album cover” (Fall)
Trooper House Album Cover (Summer)
And we again craned for those perfect shots:
A small sample of those gorgeous fall views:
A shot of the farm crew
Bonus- Some very attractive farm cows:
Check out more photos from our trip to the farm on our Flickr account.