Rock Creek Cemetery is celebrating its 300th anniversary and is on the National Register of Historic Place. This 20 tree planting is part of an ongoing effort, begun in 2008, to restore the tree canopy of these historic grounds. While there are many big, ancient hardwoods, including some splendid white oaks, tulip poplars, hickories, hollies, magnolias and other great trees, the cemetery has lost many of its trees in recent years to old age and storm damage, including lightning.
The Metrobus stop for this location is Rock Creek Church Rd NW & Webster St. NW (60, H8). The Fort Totten Station is a 1.0 mile walk to the site. Plenty of parking is available in the cemetery. Once entering the Rock Creek Church and Webster Gate, follow the chalk arrows on the road to the planting site.
- All volunteers must sign a completed volunteer waiver form on the day of the event before participating. Children under 18 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign their waiver and be supervised by an adult at all times. We will ask you for personal, emergency contact, and health information during the registration process.
- No specific skills required. Each event starts with a tool safety and planting demonstration. Volunteers plant alongside experienced Citizen Foresters and staff.
- Register in advance. Space is limited. If your plans change prior to the event, please update your registration status so we are sure to have the necessary number of volunteers.
- Arrive on time. Check-in opens a half hour prior to the indicated start time and volunteers must be present for the tool safety demonstration at the start of the event.
- Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather. Closed toe shoes are required.
Volunteers are welcomed in the morning with hot coffee, tea, water and bagels. A celebratory lunch is provided at the conclusion of the event. Please note your dietary preferences and/or allergies when registering so we can attempt to accommodate your needs.
Are you a volunteer group manager? Do you want to register a large group of volunteers for one or more events (5 or more individuals)? Groups cannot sign up all of their registrants on this page, but we are happy to work with you to get volunteers registered at this event or other events this season. Register online now.
Support Casey Trees
Help re-tree the historic Rock Creek Cemetery by making a donation today. Gifts of any amount make a world of difference in making our streets and communities safer, healthier and – of course – greener!