Planned and Stock Gifts
A charitable bequest is a loving way to provide for Casey Trees’ future and to plant trees across the nation’s capital for future generations to enjoy. In addition to allowing you to leave a lasting legacy to an important cause, bequests offer tax advantages.
Consult your attorney or financial planner to learn how to set up a bequest. Here are some options to consider:
- Cash bequest – Designate a specific dollar amount or percentage of assets for Casey Trees.
- Property bequest - Donate the proceeds of sold property, including securities or real estate, to Casey Trees.
- Estate bequest – Direct whatever is remaining from your estate to Casey Trees once all else has been paid off and satisfied.
- Retirement bequest – Designate Casey Trees as the beneficiary of your retirement plan including IRAs, tax-sheltered annuities, qualified pension, or profit-sharing plan.
- Insurance policies – List Casey Trees as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy.
- Contingent bequest – List Casey Trees as the beneficiary only in the event of the death of all other beneficiaries.
To make a charitable bequest to Casey Trees in your will, make use of the following language:
“I give and bequeath the sum of $___________ (or ____% of my estate) to Casey Trees to be used in support of its general charitable purposes.”
Once you have completed arrangements with your lawyer or financial planner, you may choose to send a copy of the section of your will or trust document that details your charitable plans.
A gift of stock can bring meaningful financial and tax benefits to both you and Casey Trees. Since stocks often appreciation in value over time, they can make a real difference in what we can accomplish in your community.
Making a gift of securities is simple and provides a number of benefits to you as well. Upon transfer, the total value of the stock is tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Additionally, there is no obligation to pay any capital gains taxes on the appreciation of a particular gift of stock.
If you are considering making a gift of stock to us, please contact our Development Department at 202.349.1894 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.