Casey Tree Farm was originally part of a 5-million-acre tract of land owned by Lord Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord of Fairfax of Cameron. Over time, the estate was subdivided and sold. Following the death of Lord Fairfax, the remaining land was confiscated by the Commonwealth of Virginia and put up for sale to the public.
Historical records indicate several prominent individuals owned and resided at the farm including John Holker, French consul general to the U.S., from 1781 until Charles McCormick’s family bequeathed the property in 1933 to local charities including All Saints Episcopal Church. The church sold its portion to Marie and George Greenhalgh who then assembled the remaining portions of the estate between 1935 and 1937.
In 1958, Eugene Casey purchased the farm from the Greenhalghs to serve as a summer home for him and his wife, Betty Brown Casey. Mrs. Casey donated the farm to Casey Trees in 2008. Today, the rich agricultural and cultural legacy of the farm lives on through Casey Tree Farm’s tree nursery, hay fields and our preservation and adaptive reuse of the historic structures located on site.