Buildings and Gardens
Springsbury Farm and Lands End, now Casey Tree Farm, is one of the premier country estates in the region. Since 2008, Casey Trees has dedicated significant time and resources documenting the history and cultural significance of the farm and its many structures, as well as restoring the land and repairing roadways, bridges, fencing and other features.
Two of the Farm’s many structures merit special mention.
The Main House, the core of which was built in the mid-1790s, was expanded by Marie and George Greenhalgh in the 1930s to a spacious residence with designs from the Boston-based firm of Perry, Shaw & Hepburn, best known for their work in Colonial Williamsburg.
The home’s expansive gardens, as well as the road layout and the many stone-wall features on the farm, were designed by one of America’s most prominent women landscape architects, Ellen Biddle Shipman. We have stabilized the home to ensure it will continue standing for decades to come.
The Main Stable, with more than 25 stalls, was used by the Greenhalghs to board their show horses. The original barn, also built in the late 1700’s, was expanded with designs by Alfred Hopkins and Associates, a well-known architecture firm specializing in stables and farm outbuildings on large estates, particularly on Long Island, New York.